Tuesday 10 March 2020

I found Dad's Royal Signals Cap Badge!

Bott's Royal Signals Cap Badge 1939-1946
Well this was a surprise. I found Rowland Bott's (my Dad's) Royals Signals cap badge.

I didn't know I had it.
Rowland Bott, aged 27, with cap & badge, July 1945


In the 1970s Dad, ever the craftsman, took up a new hobby - silversmithing. He was really rather good at it.

He liked to make 'things' - spoons, boxes, lids, etc. But, at the demand of his children, he also made jewellery. I used to enjoy designing simple pieces which he then made. It was a good combination as he liked making but always said he couldn't design; I liked designing but am no silversmith.

So what is the connection? Well, I inherited his silversmithing box and amongst the scrap bits and pieces of silver (he saved all the scraps), new 'raw' silver wire and sheets, broken old jewellery and little new projects half-finished, I found a rather grubby looking object. His cap badge. Chuffed!
1970s Jewellery made by Bott for his daughter, Pam, author of this blog
Above is a range of items made by Bott - all except the large chain (top left) for the Art Nouveau style pendant. Look at the tiny leaves and curls he made to my design.

He insisted on making every part of the items buying no ready-made findings. So, for example, he made all the individual links to the bracelet and it originally had a little padlock he made as the fasten (now replaced with a bought one).